the war in my mind….
Sometimes I think I must be skitzo! I battle daily with how to deal with what so many see coming. Storm clouds are gathering and growing larger, there is distant thunder and flashes of lightning on the horizon…..
I hear the message of Love in my heart for all of humanity. I feel the apprehension and a growing fear that Freedom is really already gone. Americans take for granted their God given right to Life, Liberty and to pursue happiness. When I see people on the street going about their everyday business, I wonder if they too are feeling the same apprehension that I have. I suppose I look the same to them. I smile and greet people no differently than I ever have.
Americans in particular can’t envision a time when we would be forbidden to worship freely and without fear of molestation. We cannot fathom being killed for professing our love for God. We can’t imagine being forbidden to have more than one child or from owning our own home and raising our children according to our values. We don’t believe that someone really wants to brainwash our children for their own ideology. We believe that our food is safe because the government is making sure of it. We believe that all laws are for our own good and protection. We trust government to secure our liberty and our nation’s sovereignty. We believe our money is safe when we put it in our checking account. In short most of us think that tales of conspiracy and intrigue are just in the imagination of a few nut jobs who have nothing better to do with their time. That kind of stuff only happens in the movies and makes for good entertainment but it could never happen in real life. Ignorance is bliss up to a point….
Back to the battle in my own mind and how to continue with everyday responsibilities and wondering how much of what I read, see and hear is real. At the same time I want to live life according to my faith. To do that I must practice it in accordance to Biblical instruction, loving all people and being consistent in my speech, bridling my tongue, resisting temptation to seek vengeance on my own when I know vengeance is God’s. Praying for enemies, this is hard for me because I don’t believe there is an ounce of good in those who practice Sharia and execute their own people with such brutality as we have seen throughout the Arab Spring. Neither do I believe that the President and most Democrat and some Republican leaders are interested in anything but creating crisis to be used in exploitation of minorities, women, children, homosexuals, the poor, the handicapped or the elderly. All these groups are merely pawns who will be sacrificed as soon as total control is achieved.
This where my problem begins because it just makes no sense. Why would anyone, even those who see themselves as too rich and too powerful to be exploited want to take the chance that their own families might suffer and why do they have such little concern or compassion on those weaker than they are?
ALL human beings have a master whether they know it or not. Either God or Satan, man cannot serve two masters. God loves all of humanity and all of humanity has the God-given right of free will, to choose either good or evil. Satan presents himself in many different forms and ways. Those most vulnerable to his temptation are those who have no moral foundation, they believe neither in God nor Satan. These are minds ripe for the infestation of worldliness, believing that today is all anyone has and that eternity is just a myth. When people don’t love God and all that He stands for and has done for us, they cannot love their fellow human beings and they cannot recognize Satan.
As a christian, I can only speak from the perspective of my faith and that when I lose sight of God I open the door to Satan who battles hard for the souls of believers. This is when he comes to us in the form of something good or beautiful and exploits our weaknesses whatever they may be. For non-believers, Satan pretty much has them on auto-pilot being assured that they are his no matter what. Even atheists who are good people, living morally decent lives, much like the christian but dis-avowing God are already in Satan’s corner, so that they don’t recognize that he is their master already.
The christian engages in spiritual warfare daily. God has given us the armor and the weapons fit for battle but we have to put the armor on and use the weapons as instructed.
Two were considered offensive weapons: shoes and sword
Three were considered defensive weapons: breastplate, shield, and helmet
One was considered neutral: loin belt (girdle)
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.
11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.
12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.
14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist,
1. Just as the soldier had his loin belt to put on every day to keep his armor together, we must apply the Word of God to our lives on a daily basis or we will not be able to maintain our defenses. The belt was the first thing that the soldier put on. Just as this is the first thing a Christian must put on. Much of the weaponry and protection depended on the belt being in place properly. If we do not use the word of God as our belt of truth, we have no foundation on which to base our warfare with the enemy. The belt held things in place where they needed to be. The truth of God’s word does the same for us.
with the breastplate of righteousness in place,
2. When you walk in the righteousness of God, it is a weapon of defense against all those slanderous accusations, and outrageous strategies of the devil. The Bible declares that the heart of man is prone to be tempted according to Matthew 26:41. We are righteous in God’s sight because of what Jesus has done for us. Right thinking and doing right are the part righteousness that we are to protect ourselves with.
15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
3. Offensively this peace will help you to stand with your feet planted firmly on the Word of God and stay there, unmoved by the devil’s threats and lies. It will protect us when we walk through the rough places and keep us steady in the heat of a battle. It will keep our spiritual foes where they belong…under our feet.
16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
4. In this verse, the Roman shield stands for the faith of the believer in the promises of God. The value of faith lies not in the person exercising it, but in the person whom the faith is in. Faith is something that all people possess and use every day. Romans 10:17 tells us that faith comes through hearing the Word of God. Knowing the Bible and the God of the Bible gives you greater faith. Remember it is God that fights with you and that is some awesome protection.
17 Take the helmet of salvation
5. The parts of the Roman helmet were: a lining of leather, softened for comfort and good fit; the helmet itself which was a bronze cast for the soldier, or iron alloy for officers; a metal crest for the plume; and a chinstrap. The highest ranking officers had gold and silver alloy helmets for parade dress.
A well-designed helmet will protect you from various angles of attack.
The greatest battlefield is in our minds. This is the area that the enemy wants to attack the most. One key area he wants to damage is our assurance of salvation. Paul gave some good advice in Philippians 4:8. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. We must be on guard on what we let run free in our minds. Satan is very subtle in these areas. He has blinded the world and he will do the same to the unsuspecting or careless Christian. We must have a clear mind to be discerning in all situations. This comes by immersing yourself in God’s word and prayer.
and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
6. Our sword of the Spirit is the word of God. When Jesus was tempted by Satan in the wilderness, Jesus quoted His Father’s words and spoke them with authority. Consequently, each Word was like a sword-blow to Satan’s head! God has given us the authority to use His words because we are all ambassadors of Christ. God speaks with ultimate authority in the universe. He spoke and the universe came into being from nothing. When we speak God’s word according to his will, there is no power in the universe who can withstand it!
This description of the armor found at http://www.christianarsenal.comTHE CHRISTIAN ARSENAL Full Armor of God
Until we put on the full armor of God and carry His weapons, the armor and the weapons of this world will not be sufficient to defeat the forces at work in our nation to take our life, our liberty and our pursuit of happiness. Without it, we are no better than our enemies and expose ourselves to the same judgement.
Arming others with God’s Word is our mission as christians. Last night at worship services we heard about the work of the Eastern European Mission. This organization prints and distributes Bibles and teaching materials in Russia and Ukraine to 10,730 public schools and over 2,289,700 students can study the Bible every day in their schools. You can find out more about their work and their mission at http://www.eem.org – Email: email@example.com. EEM is overseen by the Prestoncrest Church of Christ, Dallas, TX.
Would you ever have imagined that students in former Communist Bloc countries would be free to study the Bible in public schools? American students no longer are free to do that. What does that say about the land of the free and the home of the brave?